Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Operate Metalizer to:
- Perform to quality, waste, and production standards and goals
- Meet or exceed the customers (both internal and external) expectations
- Meet the highest of quality standards
- Communicate orally and/or in writing to other departments for resolution of mechanical problems, reporting defective material, coordination of job preparations, changeovers and daily shift information
- Report production accurately and timely including waste, WIP, time codes, raw materials, etc.
- Ensure your own safety while operating the machine and that of those assisting with operations
Manage the duties of an operator including but not limited to:
- Responsible for inspecting base film roll hardness.
- Responsible for inspecting metalized film quality.
- Check all drive rollers at Metallizer
- Proper handling of Tools & check availability
- Disposal old boats scrap in MET- plant
- Responsible for weighing and packaging of slit metalized film
- Responsible for accomplishing all forms necessary for metalized film production and process control.
- Follow procedure and work instruction diligently.
- Suggest modification, improvement, change in procedure or methods with reference to increase productivity and efficiency
- Contributes to team efforts by accomplishing related task and results as needed.
- Perform daily housekeeping duties to keep area clean and organized during setup, run and end of shift
- Remove and weigh all waste
- Keep trash waste separated from recycle materials
- Properly store all unused equipment
- Internal: Plant: Metalizer, Production Operators and Assistants, Maintenance, forklift drivers
- External: Limited to None
The competencies essential to performing effectively in this role include:
- Learning, Informing, Reporting, Deciding, Checking Objects
- Reviewing, Using Instruments, Teamwork, Following Instructions, Checking Written Information, Performing physical tasks, Using a Keyboard/Computer, Calculating/Counting
- 3 years of experience operating Metalizer machinery in a Biaxial Orientated Polypropylene environment
- Certificate or Diploma Plastic Manufacturing
- Food Safety Certificate
- Grade 12 with Maths and English
- Ability to accurately read a tape measure
- Ability to be self-directed and multitask
- Ability to follow directions
- Ability to lead and manage the performance of others
- Ability to obtain forklift and overhead crane license and operate a forklift and overhead crane
- Inspect the product for any quality defects before sending to Slitting / Packing.
- Monitors System Process Controls(SPC’s) information and insures action is taken in response to out of tolerance conditions, both process and product
- Responsible for reading and understanding the Operating Procedure Manuals (OPM’s) and Work Instructions (WI’s)
- Ensures samples submitted to the Lab are taken correctly and in a timely manner, particularly to fulfil Certificate of Analysis (COA) requirements.
- Assist in non-conformance investigations, as needed and or requested
- Ensure suitable material hold/quarantine process as needed and request
- Read and understand Work Instructions in regards to food safety
- Ensure documented completion of assigned inspections, checklists, and audits
- Ensure proper hygiene practices are followed
- Understand, support and participate in 5S initiative
- Ensure work areas are maintained to Visual Standards
- Ensure 5S audits are performed and documented at specified time frames for their assigned area during shift
- Responsible for complying with all environmental, health and safety policies and procedures
- Read and understand all manuals relative to safety, food safety, training and process control-production and equipment safety
- Attend and participate in required monthly safety meetings
- Identify hazards and risk factors in the work area that may affect health or safety and take corrective action immediately. Report those that cannot be immediately corrected to the In charge and/or Safety Coordinator
- Responsible for and ensuring your ability to safely operate line equipment and other equipment (i.e. Hand jacks, hoists and forklifts)
- Ensures the safe handling and labelling of chemicals
- Production floor – not climate controlled with no heating or air conditioning with high temperatures in summer months and possible cold temperatures in winter months
- Breaks and lunches can be taken in a climate controlled environment
- Equipment, safety, environmental and quality concerns may demand constant attention
- Rotating shift working 12 hour days and nights which could be adjusted as business needs dictate
- Required to sit or stand and move about the facility
- Walk or stand on concrete for long periods of time
- Climb ladders sometimes to high levels
- Frequent lifting of items not to exceed 25 kg without assistance