ALWAYS REMEMBER: YOUR SAFETY FIRST- PROPERTY SECOND
Before you ever use a portable fire extinguisher, you better know the extinguisher to use for each fire class:
( A ) for fires involving combustibles like wood or paper
( B ) for flammable liquids and gases
( C ) for fires where electricity may be present
( D ) for combustible metals like magnesium
Fire extinguishers are labeled for use on either a single class of fire (A) or (D), or for multiple classes fires (BC), or (ABC).
- P Pull the pin
- A Aim hose at the base of the fire
- S Squeeze the trigger
- S Sweep back and forth with the extinguisher
Remember these firefighting tips:
- Most fire extinguishers are emptied in less than a minute.
- Do not attempt to fight a large fire.
- Never turn your back on a fire once you have extinguished it, it might reignite!!
- Always activate your extinguisher while still approaching the fire, never when you are already in the danger zone, you might get burnt!!
- If the fire gets too big, use the buddy system, if that does not work get out and leave it to the professionals.
- Always leave yourself a way out, keep your back to an exit